Healthcare Professional Support

If you telephone DHU 111 (East Midlands) when your GP is closed or walk in to one of our four Walk-in Centres (WIC) you will first be asked to give your details including name, address, telephone number etc and who your GP is. You may then talk to a nurse or doctor, who will assess your condition.

Many calls to our service end at the stage of talking to a health care professional who is able to provide you with advice and allow you to manage your condition with some help and advice from us. If your condition worsens at any time after speaking to or seeing one of our staff PLEASE CONTACT US AGAIN by telephoning your usual GP surgery telephone number or the telephone number given to you.